Website WinCo Foods
WinCo Foods began in 1967, in Boise, ID, under the name Waremart, operating stores under the name until 1999, when the name was changed to WinCo Foods, short for Winning Company.In 1985, after a group of senior employees purchased a majority interest in the company, they made the momentous decision to give WinCo Foods employees a real ownership stake. The WinCo Foods Employee Stock Ownership Trust (ESOP) was born, creating what has now become the third largest Employee-Owned company in the United States.Today, WinCo Foods is well known and beloved for its everyday low-prices and engaged employee-owners across our service areas, encompassing 126 stores throughout Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma and Montana.
- Tracks and measures sales and profitability of assigned lines and performs analysis to determine impact on overall category profitability.
- Initiates, manages and ensures timely completion of category reviews.
- Uses various communication skills to keep key internal teams informed of promotions, cost advantages, product availability, market trends and vendor and item changes.
- Negotiates with suppliers to achieve the most competitive pricing in order to secure an aggressive difference in pricing versus the market competition via special buys, backhaul agreements and vendor programs.
- Investigates alternative distribution and cost options to achieve further savings.
- Monitors integrity of assigned item pricing as well as promotional pricing.
- Communicates effectively with stores, merchandising, procurement, and retail operations functioning as a liaison between Retail Operations and the Buying Department.
- Continually assesses market competition by comparing WinCo’s product strategy with the industry including competitive store product mix checks on a regular basis.
- Attends key trade shows.
- Coordinates with Division Vice Presidents, Department Vice Presidents, and Directors, retail pricing, advertising and space management on promotional buys and assigned items and categories.
- Examines, selects, orders and purchases products at the most favorable price consistent with quality, quantity, specification requirements and other established factors.
- Cultivates effective relationships with vendors and brokers and leads vendor negotiations.
- Establishes strategic relations with key suppliers that lead to new consumer and industry insights.
- Collaborates with vendors and brokers on new items to maximize sales/profits for the department.
- Demonstrate experience with both commodity (whole case) and processed products
- Exhibiting strong ability to analyze data, make judgments and develop reports.
- Representing subject matter expertise in the area of produce procurement.
- Demonstrating strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) software.
- Be extremely self-motivated, take initiative and drive results.
- Multi-task and work in a fast-paced, multiple-priority environment.
- Work closely with procurement management, retail management, logistics and warehousing, quality assurance, and other departments.
- Be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrating a track record of cost reductions and business results through effective negotiation strategies.
- Negotiate contracts and terms in order to gain maximum advantage for costs and vendor funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees and outside contacts, user groups and vendors.
- Write and speak clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings.
- Respectfully challenge standard practices to find a better way to get things done.
- Travel as needed.
- Be available to respond to calls on urgent matters involving including after business hours, on weekends and holidays if necessary.
Qualification & Experience:
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience in grocery produce retail buying or related field.
- Working with a rapidly growing and profitable organization.
Company: WinCo Foods
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boise, ID, US
Application Deadline: N/A